Wednesday, April 21, 2010

First trimester drawings

Here are some of the drawings I did during my first trimester. I apologise for the poor picture quality. I'm finding it really difficult getting a decent digital copy of these drawings, since they are so light and one here is even on a grey paper.

The FAA teaches you to draw really light handed with a hard pencil. I haven't been used to this before and used to prefer really soft pencils like 3 or 4B. Now I'm only using H and 2H and this is why I now get these really soft and light drawings.


When we draw with charcoal here at the academy we use long sticks of B, HB or H charcoal. We then sharpen the sticks to needle points or sharp blades with use of sandpaper blocks. Since we draw on quite large sheets of paper (the drawings here are approx 1-1.1m tall) we can get quite a lot of precision. Before coming here I was used to charcoal being the medium where you draw quite quickly and roughly. I used to think that drawing on one drawing with charcoal for longer than an hour would be impossible, since it would just be too saturated and messy after that. Now when we spend maybe 75h on the same charcoal drawing I find that quite funny.

This drawing I spent 3 weeks on, so approx 45h and it was my last drawing of my first trimester.





This is my second charcoal drawing of the trimester and it's showing the progress day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment